Saturday, December 13, 2008

Singapore (Day 2)

Well, I finally got some much needed sleep, even though it was just a couple of hours. They let me use the phone at the hostel to call about my bag and I was able to use the computers there to check my e-mail. They said they would bring my bag in the afternoon, so I went out for some more food. I found some delicious looking roast duck and char siu pork at one of the hawker centers. Unfortunately, the roast duck lacked flavor, fat, and tenderness, which was pretty disappointing. The pork, on the other hand, was the best version of this dish that I had ever tasted, very flavorful and tender, so I was happy. I picked up some batteries for my camera and headed back to wait for my bag. It was so hot outside and humid, like you wouldn't believe. Apparently, the end of June is the hottest and muggiest time of year to visit the area.
Once my bag arrived, I was off to explore before finding my train and heading on to KL. I sort of wished I could've stayed longer because it was a nice hostel with a fun group staying there. I hopped on the MRT, which had a station across the street from the hostel. I decided to head over to Little India for a little while to look around and maybe get some dinner before I got on the train. Little India was very nice and clean like everything else in Singapore. Pretty much just block after block of jewelry and clothing stores and some restaurants sprinkled in. I did find a Hindu Temple and decided to stop in for a quick look. Nothing too exciting, but it was nice to see the blending of cultures (e.g. the Indian, Chinese,and Malay children that were visiting the temple when I was there).



























I headed up the street and found a small Indian restaurant that smelled amazing. I ordered some chicken that they called pepper chicken and some lamb whose name I could not understand. They looked dry, but were anything but. Both of these dishes were at least a 9.5. Spicy, flavorful, tender, moist. Both sauces were "hot and sweet" according to the server, which was pretty accurate. It was very hot and tangy, sort of like a really thick Thai red curry. While eating my meal, one of the servers came over and asked me if the food was very hot for me. I told him that it was perfect and joked that I was part Mexican. If only I could have gotten a picture of the confused look on his face, clearly not understanding what that meant in any way.
After that i moved on to Chinatown and found an enormous food court with about 50 eateries that looked like this














I wandered around and found this narrow little tourist path that winded through the backstreets.
I stopped for a Tiger beer and "people-watched" for a few minutes. I then headed over to the train station and waited for a while. After boarding the train, I got set up in my sleeper car just before they pulled us off the train to go through customs as we left Singapore and entered Malaysia. I got back on, got in my car and went to sleep after jotting down some notes that helped me process everything I had taken in over the previous day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment