Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Day of Kayaking, Snorkeling, Relaxation, and Sunburn (Day 8)

The next day, we slept in hard! We were dead tired and our bodies needed to regroup after all of that trekking and what not. I got up and read on the porch while my sister did yoga inside. By about midday, we decided that we should set out on another journey before we left. So we went and rented kayaks and snorkels and figured that we would head back to the marine park we had seen the day before. My sister had the crazy idea to kayak around the whole island, but that's where I put my foot down. We got a great price on the boat and the snorkel gear and headed off from Long Beach, past the Fisherman's Village and on to the marine park.
We got there and pulled the boat up and jumped in the water. Only, my snorkel did not work because a piece was missing that blocks out the water. Luckily a nice guy at the resort on that beach lent me his and off we went. We swam around following schools of fish that seemed to get bigger and more exotic the deeper we went. They were the most amazing colors. The water was amazingly clear and there I saw it...a huge sea turtle. I came up to tell my sister and she was swimming away. "Hey, where are you going?" I asked. "Didn't you see the turtle?" "Yeah," she said, "but I also saw a shark!" I went back under at this point and, sure enough, there was about a five foot long shark swimming about 6 feet away from me. So we calmly headed back toward the shore and got as far as we could from the sea turtle and shark area.
I could feel my skin burning, so we started to head back. We got back and just relaxed for a few minutes before heading across the island to Coral Bay via the short trail to watch the sunset. We sat at one of the restaurants on the beach and I ordered a fruit plate for about $1.50.

It was the most amazingly fresh fruit I have ever tasted. The mango was the best that I've ever had. Better than the Caribbean. We then sat back and watched the sunset...

and the clouds that were forming in front of it.

This cloud reminded me of a dragon.

We decided to head back before it got dark because we did not have flashlights. We were lucky enough to catch this interesting site through the jungle as we reached the other side.

We grabbed some dinner, which was amazing chicken satays for me with peanut sauce. We then went and read and turned in early as we had decided to make the trip to Bangkok the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment